Safeguarding God’s Children & Safeguarding God’s People
The Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana is committed to welcoming and protecting all people who participate in activities in our parishes and at events sponsored by the diocese. Sexual misconduct on the part of any clergy person, employee or volunteer of any congregation, school or diocesan affiliated organization violates the mission of the Church, is prohibited and will not be tolerated.
The Safeguarding God’s Children & Safeguarding God’s People courses teach how exploitation and harassment occur, the awareness we need to prevent such occurrences and how to respond, should an incident of exploitation or harassment occur.
Documents to Download
Recognizing and Reporting Abuse and Neglect
- EDOLA Recognizing and Reporting Abuse of Children (updated July 2021)
- EDOLA Reporting Summary
- DCFS Brochure
- DCFS Child Abuse Reporting Form
- Confidential Notice of Concern
Background Checks and Applying for Positions
- Background Check Policy
- Safeguarding Background Check Chart
- Disclosure and Authorization Form – Employees
- Disclosure and Authorization Form – Volunteers
- Summary of Rights Under FRCA
- Sample Application Form – Employees
- Sample Information Form – Volunteers
If your organization has a child care center, please read the Department of Education’s Tutorial of the Child Care Background Check System by clicking here.
All background checks for clergy and youth ministers must go through the diocesan office. Please contact Joy Shackelford (firstname.lastname@example.org) to begin this process.
All other background checks should be processed through the Praesidium Confidence Package (https://website.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enroll in training?
1. Go to https://www.praesidiumacademy.com/redeem
2. Fill in your contact information including First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and desired Password.
3. Enter the appropriate registration code for your organization (Please contact your organization’s Safe Church Minister or contact the Rev. Allison C. Reid at email@example.com)
4. Click Validate to confirm registration code.
5. Click the checkbox to agree to the Terms & Conditions.
6. Click Redeem.
7. Write down your user login and password for future reference.
8. Answer the Registration Questions about your status and role within the organization.
9. Click Save & Continue.
10. To begin taking training immediately, scroll down and click a course to start the content.
How do I begin training?
- Go to www.praesidiumacademy.com/learn
- Enter your user login and password.
- Scroll down and click a course to start the content.
How often do I need to renew this training?
Every three years.
Is there a cost to be trained?
How do I know if I need to be trained?
Please review this chart: Safeguarding Training Chart
In addition to this training, do I also need a background check?
Please review this chart: Safeguarding Background Check Chart
Yes. In addition to this training, a criminal record check and sex offender registry check may be required in any state where the trainee has resided during the prior seven years. A DMV check may also be required. Background checks should be renewed every six years. For more information, contact the Safeguarding Minister at your organization.
How do I report an incident?
1623 Seventh Street
New Orleans, LA 70115
Phone: (504) 895-6634
Fax: (504) 208-3511
Copyright ©2021 | The Diocese of the Episcopal Church of Louisiana