Brotherhood of St. Andrew
The Brotherhood of Saint Andrew has a long history of serving the Episcopal Church. In November of 1883, St. James Church, Chicago, Illinois, reached out to save the homeless men sleeping on the streets of Chicago. This act of kindness was the first step in building a men’s organization that now stretches across oceans in its international reach. There are presently 4200 men in the United States who are members of the Brotherhood who focus their efforts on three areas:
The Discipline of Prayer, “To pray daily for the spread of Christ’s kingdom, especially among men and youth, and for God’s blessings upon the labors of the Brotherhood.”
The Discipline of Study, “To study the Holy Scriptures regularly and the teachings of the Church, to attain a better understanding of how to follow Christ and bring others into his kingdom.”
The Discipline of Service, “To make continuous efforts, week by week, to bring others nearer to Christ through his Church.”
In today’s world, the Brotherhood offers men a sound foundation of spiritual support, fellowship, and encouragement to the complexities of this current era. In that vein, the Brotherhood has opened its membership to all men in the Episcopal and Anglican churches.