Volunteer for Flood Relief
* We are in the process of completing our flood relief work. Grace Church is no longer accepting out-of-state volunteer registration.
Thank you for helping us provide flood relief to the thousands of people who were affected by the August 2016 flooding in Louisiana. Our diocese is partnering with Episcopal Relief & Development to address ongoing needs. Currently, we
For all questions, please contact the
Age guidelines: It is our policy to not allow youth under the age of 18 to enter a flooded house or building.
- Eye protection
- Long pants and long sleeves
- Sturdy work shoes with puncture proof shoes (no sneakers and no open toed shoes)
- Heavy work gloves
- Nose and mouth
shields / respirators
- When mold is present consider the use of Tyvek suits and rubber boots
All volunteers must fill out and return a volunteer agreement and release form and the volunteer medical form before working with the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana in a flooded house or building.
- Volunteer Forms: Volunteer Agreement and Release – Hold Harmless Agreement – Medical Forms
- Guidelines for Gutting Homes After a Flood
Volunteer Registration: Local Teams
Choose this option If you are a local volunteer signing up for a day of service. Please first check with your church to see if they have organized teams working in the flood affected areas. If not, feel free to sign up here.
Attention local teams organizing your work through the flood relief coordinator – please have a team leader or organizer fill out the local volunteer form on behalf of the entire team. We only need to know the team leader’s contact information and the number of people volunteering with your team for the day. You will not need to fill out a separate form for each individual person volunteering with your team. However, we will need a volunteer agreement form for each individual on your team.
Direct links to churches and/or deaneries that are organizing teams:
- Downtown New Orleans / Jefferson Deanery (organized by St. Paul’s & St. Anna’s): http://www.stpaulsnola.org/disasterrelief
Volunteer Registration: Out-of-State Teams
We are very grateful for our out-of-state friends who will be traveling to Louisiana to assist in the flood recovery. There are several options for lodging. You will be responsible for confirming the booking of your lodging. However, when you fill out the volunteer form, your requested housing location will be notified.
You will be responsible for arranging your own transportation.
- Church of the Annunciation, New Orleans (It is a 60-90 minute drive to the flood affected work sites; $22.50 per person per night; accommodates up to 30 people; bunk beds; optional meals, more information found at http://www.annunciationepiscopal.com/volunteer)
- Grace Church, St Francisville
* Note: Grace Church is no longer accepting reservations for volunteer teams.
- Trinity, New Orleans (It is a 60-90 minute drive to the flood affected work sites; $25 per person per night; $200 non-refundable deposit; accommodates up to 22 people; bunk beds; meals optional at an additional cost; Trinity has their own set of forms for you to fill out; more information at http://trinitynola.com/mission )
Work Site Locations
We are currently working in the following locations to muck out, gut, and rebuild flooded houses.
- Baton Rouge
- Denham Springs
- St. Francisville