First of all, I want to extend my deepest thanks for the ministry that you continue to provide to the survivors of the recent floods. As your bishop, I am so grateful to walk through this time with you as we do our best to meet the needs of those who have lost so much.
The leadership and dedication that you provide as clergy and laity is a beacon of hope in the midst of a difficult time. You are truly the hands of feet of Christ to those whom you serve.
We appreciate the messages of prayers and support we have received from throughout the Church. Many people are asking what they can do to help now. The most helpful thing to do is to make a monetary donation to flood relief. This will help us provide assistance quickly. There are several options below. You will also find several resources where you can sign up to volunteer with the flood relief.
Please contact me if you have any questions and you remain in my prayers.
The Rt. Rev. Morris K. Thompson, Jr.
Bishop of Louisiana
Flood Response Coordinator
The Very Rev. Dr. Roman Roldan is serving as the Diocesan Flood Response Coordinator. He is the point person to match volunteers and donations with needs in the flood zone. Please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Episcopal Relief and Development US Disaster Relief Fund
We have received an emergency assistance grant from Episcopal Relief and Development so our churches in the flood area can assist the most vulnerable people in their communities. A nationwide campaign has been launched to raise more funds for Gulf Coast flood relief. Please consider making a donation to Episcopal Relief and Development to support this important work. http://www.episcopalrelief.org/us-disaster-fund
Bishop’s Professional Fund for Flood Relief
The Bishop’s office is accepting donations to assist flood victims. Please make your checks payable to The Bishop’s Professional Fund earmarked 2016 Flood Relief. You can send them to:
Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana
1623 Seventh St.
New Orleans, LA 70115
Thank you for helping us provide flood relief to the thousands of people who were affected by the August 2016 flooding in Louisiana. Our diocese is partnering with Episcopal Relief & Development to address ongoing needs. Currently, we are in the clean-up and gutting phase of our recovery.
Volunteer & Homeowner Forms; Protocol & Guidelines for Gutting Houses
Disaster Response Curricula & Tip Sheets from Episcopal Relief and Development
Resources for Flood Victims
- FEMA Assistance & File a Claim- https://www.disasterassistance.gov/
- FEMA Federal Aid Programs for the State of Louisiana- http://www.fema.gov/news-release/2016/08/14/federal-aid-programs-state-louisiana
- Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program http://www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=736&catID=2
- Emergency MRE & Water Locations: http://www.wbrz.com/news/distribution-sites-for-mres-and-water-open-wednesday
- Free Counseling with the Crisis Intervention Center: https://cicla.org/phone/
- For counseling or mental health assistance, call Capital Area Human Services at (225) 922-0631, 8am to 4pm. If it’s outside of business hours, call the crisis center hotline at (225) 922-0631.
- Louisiana Workforce Commission Emergency Unemployment Assistance- http://www.laworks.net/
- Business Flood Recovery Resources: http://www.opportunitylouisiana.com/flood-recovery-assistance
- Flood Assistance for Farmers and Ranchers: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Louisiana/news-releases/2016/stnr_la_20160818_rel_019
- Farm Aid Grants from Louisiana Interchurch Conference: http://www.lainterchurch.org/resources/index.htm#Farm_Aid
Together Baton Rouge Flood Damage Survey: http://togetherbr.nationbuilder.com/floodsurvey
Budgeting After a Disaster
- Louisiana Association for Personal Financial Achievement Disaster Recovery Budget disaster-budget-sheet-version-4
Cleanup & Rebuilding
- Flood Debris Collection Map for Baton Rouge: http://ebrgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=ec9e9cb6a250489b96f0ebc2ac1d318a
- Flood Re-entry Fact Sheet: http://gov.louisiana.gov/assets/docs/flood_re-entry_fact_sheet_8-17-16.pdf
- LSU Ag Center- Prevent Further Damage to Your Flooded Home and Health
- LSU Ag Center- Mold Removal Guideline for Your Flooded Home
- LSU Ag Center- Steps for Mold Removal
- LSU Ag Center- Cleaning a Flooded Kitchen
- Louisiana Home Builders Association- Find licensed and insured contractors for flood repair
- Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors- Weather the Storm- Advice on Hiring a Licensed Contractor
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes: What do After a Flood- http://www.flash.org/peril_inside.php?id=68
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes: Cleaning Your Home- http://www.flash.org/peril_inside.php?id=64
- United Way Flood Buckets: http://www.cauw.org/floodbuckets