Convention Theme & Guest Speaker
Finding a Place in a Displaced World
Keynote Speaker: Mary Foster Parmer, Director of Invite Welcome Connect
Born and raised in the deep South, Mary Parmer is a congregational development consultant/coach, speaker, and retreat leader living in Sewanee, Tennessee. She serves as Director of INVITE WELCOME CONNECT, a transformational ministry of evangelism and hospitality now housed at the Beecken Center, School of Theology, University of the South. Mary is the past Director of the Gathering of Leaders, a national leadership gathering of young Episcopal clergy. Mary has served as a Lay Deputy to the the past four General Conventions of The Episcopal Church, and she currently serves on the Task Force on Clergy Leadership Formation in Small Churches (GC 2015-A045). Mary holds a degree in Religious Studies from St. Edwards University in Austin and formerly served as Director of Adult Ministries & Evangelism, St. Stephen’s, Beaumont. She has two grown children and six young grandchildren, builds stone labyrinths, and spends her time away from the office hiking and reading memoirs.
Mary Parmer’s personal call to work with congregations in newcomer ministry is borne out of her spiritual gift of exhortation (encouragement), her love of people, and her passion for welcoming the newcomer and empowering the laity. Mary’s passion is helping congregational leadership understand the importance of personal invitation, welcoming folks, hearing their story, recognizing their gifts, and then connecting them to ministry. Mary believes that the ministry of the laity is best carried out when individuals discern their own spiritual giftedness and then are empowered and equipped to live into their baptismal covenant by offering their individual gifts and talents to God.
Workshop: Invite Welcome Connect
A free workshop will take place on Friday, November 1 during registration from 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. There is no additional cost and anyone interested is welcome to attend. The workshop will be held in the gym and led by Mary Foster Parmer, director of Invite Welcome Connect.
- Christwood Retirement Center by the Rev. Steve Holzalb
- St. Michael’s, Mandeville, by the Rev. Robert Beazley
- Diocesan Youth by the Rev, Jane-Allison Wiggin-Nettles
- Advent House
- Racial Reconciliation Committee by the Rev. Liz Embler-Beazley
- Community Mission Appeal by the Rev. John Pitzer
- Sewanee by the Rev. Ralph Howe
- Jericho Road by Nicole Barnes
- Diocesan Stewardship Consultants by the Rev. Tommy Dillon
- The Solomon Episcopal Conference Center by Tanja Wadsworth
- Episcopal Church Women
- Environmental Commission by Deacon Joey Clavijo
- Amelia Kate Thompson and Elizabeth Burris, Christ Episcopal School High School Music Ministry
1623 Seventh Street
New Orleans, LA 70115
Phone: (504) 895-6634
Fax: (504) 208-3511